Desmond Tan is a Senior Partner of Audit and Assurance, Head of China Business Practice and also co-manages the Johor Office of Grant Thornton Malaysia PLT.
Desmond has 26 years of experience in the field of audit, investigation, domestic or foreign base listing exercise and advisory work. He deals with a wide range of clients, from small local entrepreneurs to large multinational companies, as well as companies listed on the Malaysia Stock Exchange and Overseas Stock Exchange. The industries which he has dealt with are manufacturing, trading, aquaculture, oil & gas, plantation, construction, property development, government agency, information technology, etc.
He has also undertaken due diligence review, special investigations, government agency privatisation exercise, listing exercise and corporate exercise varying from acquisition, domestic or foreign base initial public offering to back-door listing or reverse takeover as well as involving the review of profit /cashflow forecast and preparation of accountants’ report.
He currently leads the China Business Practice of Grant Thornton Malaysia which assists Chinese businesses to invest, expand and set up operations in Malaysia. He also assists Malaysian businesses to invest, expand and set up operations in China as well as to provide sound advice and guidance to Chinese businesses and investors.
In his professional capacity, Desmond is currently serving as a Council Member of The Malaysian Institute Of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA). He was a member of the Public Practice Committee and member of Capital Market Advisory Committee of Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA). He also led and organised the firm’s training and seminars as well as technical reviews. He was also involved as a leader in peer review of Grant Thornton member firms in overseas.
In his personal capacity, he had completed the International Senior Leadership Program conducted by Business Said School, Oxford University in United Kingdom. He had served as the Chairman and Treasurer of the Joint Management Board for his neighbourhood.
- Audit of public and private companies
- Reporting Accountants
- Companies Law and Financial Reporting Standards
- Internal audit
- Due diligence audit
China Business Practice
With a deep understanding of the business environments in both Malaysia and China, Desmond leads the China Business Practice to assist Chinese businesses to invest, expand and set up operations in Malaysia. He also advises Malaysian businesses who are interested to invest, expand and set up operations in China. He also works closely with Grant Thornton China to ensure that our clients have the support they need to expand their businesses.
China to Malaysia
- Support Chinese businesses in identifying strategic business or investment partners in Malaysia or other ASEAN countries.
- Advise on market entry and help navigate local market complexities.
- Provide assistance in assessing the right platforms for Chinese companies entering Malaysian and ASEAN market.
Malaysia to China
- Support Malaysian businesses in identifying strategic business or investment partners in China.
- Advise on market entry and help navigate local market complexities through our specialists in Grant Thornton China.
- Provide assistance in assessing the right platforms for Malaysian companies entering China market.
- CA (M)
- CPA (M)
- CPA (Cambodia)
- ACPA - ASEAN Chartered Professional Accountant