Desmond Tan is a Senior Partner of Audit and Assurance, Head of China Business Practice and also co-manages Grant Thornton MSW (Johor Bahru).
Desmond has over 20 years of experience in the field of audit, investigation, domestic or foreign base listing exercise and advisory work. He deals with a wide range of clients, from small local entrepreneurs to large multinational companies, as well as companies listed on the Malaysia Stock Exchange. The industries which he has dealt with are manufacturing, trading, aquaculture, construction, property development, government agency, information technology, and many more.
He has also undertaken due diligence review, special investigations, government agency privatisation exercise, listing exercise and corporate exercise varying from acquisition, domestic or foreign base initial public offering to back-door listing or reverse takeover as well as involving the review of profit/cash flow forecast and preparation of accountants' report.
He currently serves as the committee member of the Capital Market Advisory Committee of the Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA). He was a member of the auditing and accounting technical committee of the MIA. He has led and organised the firm's auditing and accounting training and seminars as well as technical reviews. He was also a member of the Public Practice Committee of MIA. He is also involved as a leader in peer review of Grant Thornton member firms in overseas. He is familiar with the Malaysian Financial Reporting Standards (MFRS) issued by the Malaysian Accounting Standards Board which is similar to the International Financial Reporting Standards.
In his personal capacity, he had completed the International Senior Leadership Programme conducted by Business Said School, Oxford University, United Kingdom.
- Audit of public and private companies
- Reporting Accountants
- Companies Law and Financial Reporting Standards
- Internal audit
- Due diligence audit
China Business Practice
With a deep understanding of the business environments in both Malaysia and China, Desmond leads the China Business Practice to assist Chinese businesses to invest, expand and set up operations in Malaysia. He also advises Malaysian businesses who are interested to invest, expand and set up operations in China. He also works closely with Grant Thornton China to ensure that our clients have the support they need to expand their businesses.
China to Malaysia
- Support Chinese businesses in identifying strategic business or investment partners in Malaysia or other ASEAN countries.
- Advise on market entry and help navigate local market complexities.
- Provide assistance in assessing the right platforms for Chinese companies entering Malaysian and ASEAN market.
Malaysia to China
- Support Malaysian businesses in identifying strategic business or investment partners in China.
- Advise on market entry and help navigate local market complexities through our specialists in Grant Thornton China.
- Provide assistance in assessing the right platforms for Malaysian companies entering China market.
- CA (M)
- CPA (M)
- CPA (Cambodia)
- ACPA - Asean Chartered Professional Accountant